Saturday, November 6, 2010

Redefining Work

It's suddenly November, and a full week into the month at that. I'm told we "gain an hour" this weekend by switching back to Standard Time. Gain an hour? Hahahahaha....

Somehow end of summer and the beginning of fall did not quite go as planned. We drifted through August, and looked forward to a Little Person's start of Kindergarten. I anticipated a bit more free time to explore my home and devote some time to myself.

Kindergarten did start with only the most minor of adjustments for the child. And I was offered an expanded role at work, complete with a salary bump, flexible hours and benefits. Which would have been foolish to pass up. At the same time, my work-mostly-from-home husband saw a rise in his travel and a lot more time in the office. And no one warned us that elementary school would come with a constant barrage of fundraisers, evening activities, parent meetings AND -- for us -- volunteering to help coach soccer lest our child and friends lose their chance to have a team.

Thus, it's November. Today is the last day of soccer, where I will have my Blackberry with me, and I'm still trying to organize the school papers that came home in September. I haven't been to the gym since October, and my homecooking has only recently come together more like it was in the days when I had much more time in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment