An abundance of marshmallows, left over from winter's hot chocolate, made me search for a way to use them. I came across this on the Epicurious website.
Adapted from… Chocolate S'more Pie
Gourmet, November 2006
Yield: Makes 6-8 servings
1 graham cracker crumb crust, baked and cooled completely or purchased, pre-made
For chocolate cream filling
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not more than 70% cacao; not unsweetened), finely chopped OR 7 oz of bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 large egg, at room temperature for 30 minutes and the broken into a small container and slightly beaten
For marshmallow topping
3-4 handfuls of mini marshmallows
1) Make chocolate cream filling:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
Put chocolate in a large bowl.
Bring cream just to a boil in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan. (It will bubble a bit on the sides, but not in the middle.) Then pour hot cream over chocolate.
Let stand 1 minute, then gently whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Gently whisk in egg and a pinch of salt until combined and pour into graham cracker crumb crust.
2) Bake until filling is softly set and trembles slightly in center when gently shaken, about 20 to 25 minutes.
3) Remove from oven and top with marshmallows.
4) Cool pie to room temperature on a rack (filling will firm as it cools), about 1 hour, and then refrigerate.
5) Brown topping before serving:
Transfer pie to a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, rotating pie as necessary, until marshmallow topping is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
Cool pie on a rack 10 minutes.